Sunday, September 1, 2013

"First Sunday in DC: September 1, 2013"

It's hard to believe that it has been a week since I said goodbye to my sisters and friends back home in good old Texas....I am definitely having Texas withdrawals y'all, but everyday I am settling in a bit more. Oh so for a fun side note, for those of you thinking of doing this internship as 20 year olds, be advised that bars DO NOT let you in, even if say you just wanted to watch the TCU vs. LSU game last night! They don't even offer to put X's on your hands or anything to show you are under 21 like bars in Texas do because apparently they only allow those that are 21 in because it's such a hassle for the bartenders here to have to check ID's! So needless to say I will be watching the rest of the season's TCU football games from the comfort of my own apartment as I will be living the 20 year old life until November 10th.

So for today's adventure it starts with a me deciding that I would sleep in till 10:00am (only 9:00am Texas time I might add) and then heading off with 2 of the roommates to Chinatown in DC. We made a pit stop at the National Portrait Gallery, and then headed off to our main point of interest for the day, the International Spy Museum. The portraits at the National Portrait Gallery were beautiful the had painted and photographed pieces as well as sculptures and other artistic creations. We only had time to cover the first floor today, as the gallery is massive, but it is free so we figured we'd make another trip back out there to see the other two floors. I ended up having a blast at the Spy museum, they have everything from James Bond spy paraphernalia to the historic accounts of some real life spies (a lot of whom were Russian aka KGB, go figure?)  I would definitely say set aside a good two hours to get through the Spy museum, and get ready to be overwhelmed with spy gadgets and gizmos from history as well as the spy gear used in the Bond films to recreate a mysterious lifestyle. I have to say I enjoyed the Spy museum gift shop immensely (sooooo I ended up spending $20 there, sorry Dad but the good news for him is I didn't get a keychain too so that's a plus). I got some shot glasses for me and my bestie back in Texas, so when we turn 21 we can celebrate in style from the Spy museum, and a cute set of mustached sunglasses for the roomz back home. (I offered to get her a fedora since a 5ft girl in a fedora would look super cute, but she said no and what she says goes haha) I also found some sorority related spy materials at the Spy museum, such as two signs that are shown below talking about "Sisterhood of Spies" during the Civil War, not that I'm surprised, sororities are secret societies. Speaking of secret societies, as my sorority was the first secret society for women I had to take a picture of a James Bond movie poster with the caption "Diamonds are Forever", representing ADPi's diamond sign<>. All in all it was a productive and tiring day, so much so that we decided to splurge and eat out for dinner, and skip a tour of the monuments led by TWC that was tonight at 7. I'm sure all of the TWC tours are fantastic, but I have a feeling I will be seeing a lot of DC and all that it has to offer with smaller groups (my suitemates) and a tour guide with a voice that I never mind listening to (me!). I'm not surprised since that's how I do everything in my life, never the easy way, in my own time and following my own path to get me to have an experience that is uniquely my own.






My first Sunday in DC, second Sunday without a Sorority meeting and first day really realizing how separate my life here is from my life in Texas (my inbox is missing the ADPi emails I have grown accustomed to getting everyday of my life). Toto's I don't think we are in Texas anymore. Here's to enjoying the moments I have here in DC, and missing the moments I would be making in Texas, I wouldn't be me if I didn't acknowledge both.

Until next time y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment