Wednesday, September 4, 2013

"Work Day 2: September 4, 2013"

Sorry to all of you out there who have been waiting for me to post on my blog (although i's fairly certain most of the views are from my family aka hi mom and dad but that's fine). Anyway, the day just seemed to get away from me a little bit. The good news is this morning I arrived at the right DEA building by way of the TWC shuttle (which is about as unreliable as the weather back home in Texas but in all fairness it is hard to accommodate like 400 students schedules) to Union Station and then arrived in good old Chinatown for some 8:30am to 5:00pm work. The full day working life definitely is different from having 1-4 hours of class a day in college. I do enjoy being able to dress nicely (even though having to get up early every morning is not my favorite thing in the world) and do real people work. Doing real people work is intimidating, thinking that you are not just doing some random assignment and that people actually need to use your work is scary crazy.  So today I was able to jump right in an work on some research regarding PCP and also see how the evidence room operates a little bit at DEA. I have to say these are experiences I am so grateful to be able to have because they definitely don't have any hard core evidence rooms at TCU, unless you count the library which an evidence room of what time of year it is (middle of the semester you will find an empty library, finals week you won't even find a chair to sit in at that library).

I am definitely getting my bearings a little bit more and learning my way around at least the areas that I have already been to once. I have my once a week class tomorrow night from 6:30om-9:30pm, so needless to say my vacation from class is over somewhat and I will be hitting the books again starting tomorrow night. I am excited to see what the class has in store as it is about Criminal Justice and Policy Wars and focuses on two of my favorite Policy Wars: the War on Terror and the War on Drugs (only PoliSci nerds will openly admit that they actually have favorite policy wars, at least this one will since my senior thesis is about National Security threat perceptions and being a DEA kid my whole life and now a DEA intern, the War on Drugs holds a certain fascination in my heart). Hopefully, I will be able to gain some interesting new insights and meet some more TWC students all at the same time. The other good news is I got the civic engagement I wanted: Veterans!!! I have a special place in my heart for this Civic Engagement since I have several veterans in my family and respect the service that these men and women give to their country. I actually think I have my first opportunity at direct service this Saturday, so hopefully I can make it to the WWII memorial and get to hang out with people who have shown their love for their country in the biggest way possible.

I am starting to get more and more emails regarding appointments and meetings that I have for the semester for my programming, so hopefully I can get some time this weekend to get everything updated so I can have all of my ducks in a row before embarking on next week. But I shouldn't get ahead of myself, this week isn't even through yet. My sorority formal is happening soon, my friends back home are buying dresses and finding dates to hang out with for a night of fun and I'm sad to say I won't be there, also I finished the cupcakes I was sent today so that's kind of just a double bummer. And I just realized I am missing one of a sororities most coveted traditions on Friday, Big and Little Diamond Sister Reveal. Hopefully, the good times I have here will distract me from the events I am missing at home with my friends, it doesn't make me miss them or being there any less but it'll take my mind of the main force of it.

Here's to getting through the rest of this first week of work.

Until next time y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment